Friday, June 2, 2017

This is why I garden





All right, I'll admit it: all the rain this spring was really bumming me out. Seems like I'd just finish mowing and weeding my yard (between raindrops) and I'd have to start all over again! Now, I love to be in my garden, but I like just a bit of down time between chores. And let's face it, my annual garden party isn't much fun when the guests are soggy and the wind gusts are severe.

Granted, I've been spoiled. Last year we had a drought, so, not much garden maintenance. Yet the blooms weren't as abundant, vibrant or long-lasting. That's a high price to pay for less work. I mean, really, we only get to witness each flower's bloom for a fleeting week or two per year (or, in the case of day lilies, only a single day)! What a colossal disappointment when our garden gems can't give it their all!






So, much as it pains me to say it, BRING ON THE RAIN! The garden looks fantastic this year! Weigela and iris (top) impress against a backdrop of pachysandra, while wisteria blossoms roam their wrought iron arbors with abandon (above). Fuschia rhododendrons offer a warmer-than-usual welcome to visitors taking the modest side entrance (below, left), and playful poppies are sprouting endlessly--three times as many buds as usual (below, center). And then there's the peony, my favorite, at the very bottom of this page (far right)--the first bud of the season, just starting to unfurl.



Ahhh, Spring!


No comments:

Post a Comment