Monday, June 12, 2017

All-natural insect aid




Due to our mild winter, ticks are thriving in the Northeast right now. And, thanks to our exceptionally wet spring, the flowers are larger than life itself. This offers even more foliage for critters to hide in. I got into the habit of spraying myself with bug and tick repellent months ago, but every time I do it, it seems like I'm getting more of the toxic stuff in my lungs than on my skin. Even when I hold my breath, spray, then run away before inhaling again, the mist seems to surround me in noxious vapor--which takes the express route up my nostrils and down my windpipe. Tiring of the daily coughing fit to expel the poison, I've started looking for alternatives.

As usual, nature provides cures for what ails us. I've discovered the humble balm plant (Melissa officinalis). It's a perennial herb, native to the Mediterranean and Middle East, yet is cultivated here--mostly for culinary use. It can grow up to 3 feet tall and has yellow, rose, or bluish white flowers. The leaves can be crushed into a poultice for bug bites, or even spread on skin to discourage gnats, ticks and other annoying pests. The lemon scent, so pleasant to us, is distasteful to most bugs. Except bees. Personally, I love bees. I find their hovering reassuring: the plants in the area are getting pollinated. If you don't share my affection for them, keep your balm usage to the culinary variety.

Balm is a popular substitute for lemon thyme, due to it's strong lemon flavor and scent (which is why you'll also find it in potpourri, liqueurs and perfumes). Balm tea is a tasty beverage, with just a tang of lemon flavor. In fact, balm tea was traditionally used to treat insomnia and intestinal disorders. Seek medical advice before treating anything with balm, but try planting this versatile herb in your garden for an exotic flavoring and all-natural bug-inhibitor.

No comments:

Post a Comment