Thursday, April 16, 2015

Spring Bling

Well, it sure was a long time coming, but Spring has finally nudged the ground in New York.  While we "upstaters" are just delighting in the newfound riches of daffodils, tulips, crocus and hyacinths--my pal in the Austin, Texas, area has been enjoying sweeping views of botanical bounty for a good many weeks.  Since I never tire of Mother Nature's show, I thought I'd share a few shots of the spectacular offerings from across our beautiful country:


Seen here are the famous bluebonnets of Texas.  This photo, taken by fellow landscape-lover, Tammy Rice,  in the Texas Hill Country around Fredricksburg, near Austin, is a stunning display of  nature's intrinsic artistry.  And it seems we humans aren't the only ones who appreciate it:



Seems a few does are happy to partake of the floral feast spread before them.  My friend, Beth, who lives halfway between Dallas and Austin, describes a recent Spring morning in her yard so elegantly that I just had to share her words:

"Thanks to Ladybird Johnson, wildflowers are protected in Texas, and the bluebonnets are in a raging bloom this year, fields of blue as far as you can see, with patches of Indian Paintbrush and evening primrose interspersed. It's like God opened up heaven and tossed armloads of color down on the earth. The clover patches in my lawn are in bloom with pretty sweet smelling yellow sunshine flowers, and the chickweed is lovely with orchid-like lavender blooms. I enjoy the tiny flowers the weeds produce, so I have purposely not put down sod, preferring the natural Texas grasses."

Just when I'm convinced that I need to book a flight down south, I look out my own window and see my magnolia "Stellata," just beginning to bloom.  It's a sure sign of things to come.  Venturing into the yard, I capture a photo of the emerging daffodils, just beginning to turn their sunny faces skyward, and a single, tender grape hyacinth trying diligently to make it's mark in the sparse flowerbeds.  It's valiant effort makes me realize the gems I have right here, right now.  Pushing up through the leaf litter.

No comments:

Post a Comment