Friday, September 22, 2017

Summer's second act




Now that autumn is officially here, it seems more like summer. Temperatures have soared into the 80's nearly every day this month--something we northeasterners didn't see in July.

I, for one, am making the most of the Indian summer--spending time in my garden and admiring plants, like the morning glory, above, which would normally be on the decline during this time of year. Everywhere I turn, I see the effects of a very rainy summer followed by warm fall days. Plants are huge and healthy, and longer lasting.

Tree leaves are not as brilliant as normal, since it's the cooler temperatures that broadcast the signal to stop producing chlorophyll. That will happen soon--sooner than I wish. In fact, with the promise of brilliant color right around the corner, I'm enjoying summer's second act. You should too. Get outside and tour a winery, pick some apples or just stroll through your neighborhood. It's also a great time to plant spring bulbs.

No comments:

Post a Comment