Friday, August 11, 2017

Extend your blooming season




I find myself feeling wistful this time of year. It's something about seeing that last day lily bloom (above) that stirs up emotions of love and loss. As the garden settles down and the riot of blooms subsides, the idea of beauty and life as precious, fleeting entities covers me like a heavy mantle. I carry this weight as I wander the pathways of my gardens, trying not to sigh.

Fortunately, knowing this malaise will descend upon me this time of year, I've learned to prepare, and even divert my melancholy. Yes, it's important to acknowledge the facts: my day lilies are pretty much done for the season. They've gone the way of some of my favorites: the columbine, climbing rose, lupine and peony. But the growing season is far from over!

The Liatris, Rudbeckia and Echinacea have just started to shine. The hydrangeas are hanging in there, and I'm still getting a smattering of Shasta daisies. Soon my Montauk daisies and Anemone will emerge. Other fall must-haves are: Sedum (all varieties), the pretty panicles of Northern Sea Oats (Chasmanthium), Rose of Sharon (Hibiscus syriacus), bluebeard bush (Caryopteris clandonensis) and the magnificent Rose Mallow (AKA Hibiscus moscheutos). The one I planted last year has dozens of buds on it and each gorgeous crimson flower--the size of a dinner plate--is a work of art (below).




Another way to extend the flowering in outdoor spaces is to plant re-bloomers. Experts have been working hard at hybridizing for years, and over the past decade or so, many of our all-time favorites push forth blossoms from spring to the first frost. Among them: lilacs, azaleas and roses (I have them in white--seen in the background of the Rose Mallow photo--and hot pink, seen entwined with Rudbeckia, below).



With all the horticultural innovations available, there's no reason your garden (and mine!) can't look abundant right up through October!


No comments:

Post a Comment