Friday, July 7, 2017

Waterworks



If it's true what the late English garden designer Russell Page once famously said, that "gardens are an expression of faith and the embodiment of hope," I wholeheartedly agree. Such sentiments are particularly important to me this season--one of the rainiest summers I've experienced in many years.

As dreary days and deluges fill up the month, I find myself ready for a garden stroll, camera in hand, as soon as the sun peeks through the clouds. Although my out-of-doors activities seem to be centered around weeding and grass-mowing, I do try to find the time to revel in nature's wonders. Some of my delightful discoveries include the pure white Asian lilies that popped up seemingly overnight near my pond (pictured, above, left), and a plethora of pinkish-purple bee balm I don't recall  planting (above, right).

In my front yard, the finicky hydrangeas have decided to put on a rare performance. The combination of mild winter temps, moderate sun and plenty of rain has coaxed them into blooming better than they have in years. While the more reliable arborescens ('Annabelle') banked along the brick driveway (pictured below, center) can hardly contain themselves, the shy macrophylla peek their blue mop heads around the base of my rhododendrons (bottom, left), and the 'Blushing Bride' (bottom, right) are profuse, even though my acidic soil has turned their pinkish blush into a soft bluish hue.

I've learned to take the good with the bad, turn lemons into lemonade, so to speak. Though there's not nearly enough sunshine around here to grow a lemon! I've heard the upcoming weekend may be clear....


No comments:

Post a Comment