Friday, February 24, 2017

Get a jump on your spring garden



All right, I'll admit it: I'm getting antsy for Spring. I know we've still got a full month, here in the Northeast, until things start greening up, but I'm ready to begin gardening. The fact that it's going to be unseasonably warm today--temps are going to climb into the 60's--is all the more reason to start "thinking spring". I know I have to curb my enthusiasm. No reason to imitate my Magnolia 'Stellata' which is teased into bloom each March only to be hit by a killing frost--and see it's fluffy white flowers turn brown. I'll be a bit more cautious.

I'll get into the spirit with a few good old-fashioned bouquets scattered around the place. Even though the hothouse flowers aren't in season right now, a house full of flowers always jump-starts my imagination, and gets me ready to plan my best garden yet!

For those longing to get their green thumbs deep into the dirt, start now, with a few containers. For those of you with a heated greenhouse or plenty of room indoors, now is a great time to start potting annuals (if you can find them). If you're too early, you can start shopping for just the right containers and planning what plants you'd like them to contain. You can also start seedlings.

What to pot up? Depends on the amount of sun you get. In general, any area that receives fewer than 6 hours of sunlight each day calls for shade loving plants. Since that's my issue, I'll opt for the following:

*New Guinea impatiens
*Hosta
*Bacopa
*Oxalis
*Coleus
*Begonia
*Lobelia
*Sweet potato vine

If your landscape is drenched in sunshine, your container choices are virtually endless, but here are a few plants that I think do particularly well in pots that are prone to strong sun rays:

*Agave
*Angelonia
*Canna
*Petunia
*Lantana
*Salvia
*Pentas

As I always say, it's never too early to start planning a spectacular spring garden. The best thing about container gardening is that you can move plants to adjust the amount of light they receive, which ensures they'll look spectacular throughout the seasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment