Thursday, March 24, 2016

Appealing to the masses




It's not just the Northeast that experienced warmer-than-normal temperatures during the first quarter of 2016. Seems most of the United States was treated to mild climes this past winter, compliments of El Nino. I think of this weather pattern as Mother Nature's mischievous child, who, like his cohort, La Nina, likes to play tricks on us. Okay by me. I've enjoyed watching my crocus and daffodils pop from the soil weeks earlier than usual; it was delightful to see them peek out in February.

On a trip to Austin, Texas, last week I noticed the famous Texas Bluebonnets gracing every field, yard--even abandoned lots--with their heavenly blue hue. It was an opportune time to visit central Texas since the state's most popular wildflower will be just about gone at this time next month. My daughter was so enchanted by them that she sat herself down on the ground just to be in their midst (photo, above). It got me to thinking about planting in my own yard.

The massive appeal of looking over a field of blue sparked a desire in me to grab a shovel and a few dozen bags of bulbs, but for once I wasn't thinking about what to plant. I was thinking about how many bulbs I wanted to deposit into my garden. I realized at that moment that I'm often spouting the benefits or drawbacks of particular plants, but I seldom focus on the numbers. Yet the fact is this: more often than not, mass plantings have more impact on the eyes than single plantings.

There are exceptions. My neighbor has a beautiful specimen plant--a tree peony that I drool over every Spring. Designed around a garden of coniferous greens, it stands out magnificently. Yet I think a mass planting of tree peonies in the area would also wow every one of my senses.

There are drawbacks to mass planting. It can be expensive, especially if you want instant gratification, and have to buy full-fledged perennials in large quantities. And then there's the work involved. Planting dozens of flowers is a labor of love. It's also an exercise in faith when you don't know how it's going to turn out. Don't let the uncertainty discourage you...the unanticipated can surpass even the greatest of expectations. And if you don't like the effect, you can always dig them back up!


No comments:

Post a Comment