Thursday, February 11, 2016

5 flowers you must have for your valentine




It's that time of year again: Valentine's Day. Time for flowers to take center stage for 24 fleeting hours. Ironically, I don't particularly like the holiday. I've never been one for what I call "staged romance." I much prefer to let my husband be spontaneous, showing me affection whenever the mood hits him. I smile every time I think of weekend mornings all year long: he makes me bacon-smothered egg creations with piping hot coffee. As I'm chowing down, he asks me for dinner requests, then goes about preparing gourmet meals. To me, nothing says "I Love You" like the tireless TLC he gives to my stomach.

Even though I don't buy into the whole candy-flowers thing each February 14th, I do enjoy seeing the wide variety of horticultural offerings this time of year, and it's hard to keep from peeking in my florist's cooler. The variety and presentation of flowers on Valentine's Day never ceases to amaze me. Each year I marvel at the clever combinations of cultivars and colors, and I find myself frowning when I see a man carrying a bouquet of red roses. Yes, roses are lovely, but seriously? How much thought goes into plucking a supermarket bouquet? Show loved ones that they are truly loved by giving them a flower selection that says "Significant Other".

Below, I've made a list of classic and cutting edge florals--as well as touching on the meaning of certain colors--so you can mix and mash up a fantastic Feb 14 presentation:

CARNATION

Who doesn't love this tried-and-true bloom in a Valentine bouquet? The origin of this blossom's name is debated, but the most widely held belief is that it derives from the Latin "carnis," meaning "flesh"--the pinkish tone of the first carnations closely resembling God-made flesh. Now available in nearly every color of the rainbow, my favorites for this occasion are white, which signifies pure love and luck, dark red for deep love, and delicate pink, the original hue, thought to derive from the Virgin Mary's tears--a symbol of a mother's undying love. It's a great choice for a spouse who has just had a baby, or has learned she will have one soon!

NARCISSUS (AKA DAFFODIL)

This cheerful bloom symbolizes rebirth and new beginnings. Perhaps add a few sunny yellow daffodils to the pink carnations for the new mom or mother-to-be to ensure happiness. A word of warning: legend has it that daffs should always be presented in bouquets. A single bloom is thought to forewarn misfortune.

ALSTROEMERIA

The flower of this little gem of a plant looks a lot like the blossoms on my favorite azalea bushes in my front yard, but with a twist--of leaves, to be exact. They twine around the flower stems, symbolizing the intricate twists and growth of friendship. Therefore, the myriad hues of this cut beauty--white, yellow, orange, pink, red, lavender and purple--signify the strength and variety of friendship. A bouquet of alstroemeria is the perfect present for a true blue pal.

ORCHID

Exotic and artful in appearance, orchids exude luxury and represent rare and delicate beauty. Present your loved one with a pink orchid, and you are not only expressing admiration, but conveying pure affection.

ROSE

Let's face it, a Valentine's list wouldn't be complete without the unparalleled appeal of the rose. Red, of course, means enduring passion; white means purity; yellow stands for friendship; pink conveys gratitude, and orange denotes desire. While there's good reason to choose such a widely acclaimed blossom, why not update this classic to keep it from turning into cliché? Try pairing purple roses with white lilies, and you've enchantingly expressed that you've fallen in love at first sight. Any Valentine would love to experience that!




No comments:

Post a Comment