Thursday, October 29, 2015

Insect idols




Just the other day I happened upon what I think is the most fascinating of insects: the Praying Mantis.  Not only because its shape and posture is so intriguing, but because it's so rare in upstate New York.  Actually, I can recall only a few encounters with these interesting invertebrates throughout the years.

I know there are thousands of species of Praying Mantis worldwide, but most of them live in tropical places, so the few hardy types who brave our cooler climate should be commended, right?  I think most New Yorkers would agree.  In fact, I doubt areas of the globe which claim large indigenous populations of these critters would afford them the deference that we do in the Northeastern United States.

A few years ago I ran across a group of ordinary looking adults doing something that didn't appear very normal: squatting together in a Pet Smart parking lot, all staring at the pavement.  As I made progress toward my car, I had to--reluctantly--pass them.   Loaded down, as I was, with rabbit food, timothy hay, specialty puppy chow, and dog treats, I knew I'd not be able to move away from the odd-looking group with anything approaching swiftness, so I kept a wary eye on them.  Turns out, I needn't have worried: the caring group was trying to coax a praying mantis away from the traffic traversing the lot, and onto the nearby grass.  I deposited my bags in my car trunk, and joined the effort.  That's when I discovered that the critters don't like to move very fast--at least that one didn't.  I've also reflected on the divine providence that guided that little guy to an area full of animal lovers.  Turns out, lots of people keep praying mantises as pets.

The one I saw the other day was on the glass window of an office building (above), and since temperatures around these parts have been a bit nippy lately, I thought it a clever way for an insect to soak up the sun's rays to stay warm.  I peered at the fella, and he looked right back, which made me smile.  I've never before studied a bug that appeared to be studying me just as intensely.  That got me thinking about these unique creatures, which prompted me to learn more about them.  Here's five fun things I discovered:

1.  They can turn their heads 180 degrees (that's how the little bugger was able to angle his head my way, and give me the once-over).
2.  Anatomically, they are closely related to cockroaches (a fact I'd like to forget, since the roach is my least favorite insect).
3.  The two most common species of praying mantis in my area are: Chinese mantis, and European mantis, both introduced to the Northeast at the beginning of the 20th-Century.
4.  The deceptively angelic-looking "praying arms" are actually covered in rapier-sharp spines, which are useful in trapping, and holding other bugs during mealtimes.
5.  Perhaps they should be called "Preying Mantis," since they eat any kind of bug they encounter (including their mating partners!).  For this reason, it is unwise to introduce them to your garden as a means of  "organically" controlling pests.  Praying Mantises make no distinction between beneficial and harmful bugs, which could upset the delicate balance of your garden's ecosystem. 

No comments:

Post a Comment