Thursday, September 24, 2015

Circle of life




As the summer officially gives way to fall, I feel let down.  My glorious garden blooms are fading, and it will be many months before my flower beds are once again lush with spring and summer blossoms. 

Preoccupied as I get with my "autumnal blues" during this time of year, it was with a heavy heart that I ventured across the Hudson River to Cold Spring, New York, to view the horticultural displays at a lovely little spot that my friends had raved about called Stonecrop Gardens.  To my surprise and delight, their praise hadn't done it justice.

Wandering the myriad nooks and crannies, the formal displays, informal woodland sections, ponds, glass conservatory and rolling sun-drenched hills--all blooming with artfully arranged annuals and a plethora of fall bloomers--was like happening upon a secret garden.  Mere words can't do it justice, so I've included photos, starting with the one above:

One of the most intriguing elements in a well-designed landscape is the use of space.   The picture on top is a prime example of artful design.  The arbor with oversized round window zeros in on the delightful interplay of nature reflecting off the pond, for an effect reminiscent of a masterful painting.  Indeed, I felt like I was standing in a museum witnessing a work of art...until I realized that's exactly what I was doing!  The intrusion of man is subtle, created only to enhance the grandeur of nature.  This is also evident in the photo directly below, where a giant stone slab has been placed in a way to create a bridge across the water...or was that placed by Mother Nature herself?



Annuals add star power to a declining garden, making it appear more robust.  In the shot below, Dahlias in tender pink, appearing as delicate as newborn skin, disguise the browning buds behind it.


Another successful strategy for year-round beauty is to plant evergreens.  The photo below reveals a grouping of plants that keep their greenery throughout the seasons:


Gardening is an exploration of the wildest of wonders in the physical world, and within ourselves.  It provides a chance to learn a little more about the natural world around us each and every day.  It's also a wonderful opportunity for us to interact, and become inspired.  Wandering the meandering paths of Stonecrop on the first day of fall made me realize that in many ways the growing season has just begun.





No comments:

Post a Comment