Thursday, August 6, 2015

The Big Debate: separating gardening facts from fiction




Spirited conversations are the spice of life, are they not?  If you think about it, any topic is open for debate.  I've known people to hotly contest everything--from toting groceries in paper,  plastic or reusable bags (reusable gets the most votes, of course) to pet preference--usually of the cat-versus-dog variety, but I once witnessed a snake v. tarantula verbal smack down.

When viewpoints collide, even "fun" verbal volleys can get heated.  The need to "take it outside" only magnifies when the topic is landscaping.  Here, I've exploded some horticultural myths to keep your next garden gathering from turning into a dispute worthy of the upcoming Republican presidential candidate debate:

Myth #1:  It's harder to grow shrubs and flowers than grass.

This is completely true if you rely on chemical compounds and/or companies that employ such means to keep your grass artificially "green" and weed-free.  But the health of you and your neighbors (including woodland animals, birds, beneficial insects, pets, etc.) makes this approach more than merely selfish.  Pumping toxins into the earth is dangerous.  It takes more creativity to design a flowerbed, but less work in the long run.  Perennial plants come back every year with no prompting on your part, and little more than a springtime dose of organic fertilizer in order to thrive.  After that, it's simply a matter of occasional weeding, which is less time-consuming than weekly mowing.

Consider this: you may discover you have a green thumb.  I bought my property nearly 20 years ago because it only had an acre of land, and I didn't want to spend all my free time mowing the lawn.  Little did I know then that I would fall in love with the yard, and actually long to be outside, planting new types of flowers, shrubs and perennial grasses. 


Myth #2:  Breathtaking landscapes are expensive to establish and maintain.

The less patient you are, the more your landscape will cost.  As I say nearly every day of my life, gardening is a lesson in patience.  We don't plant for today, but for months and years--even generations--from now.  I know, it's an impossible concept in today's "instant gratification" mindset, but a richly layered landscape takes time.  Time not only allows plants to mature and fill in, but provides the necessary opportunity for the gardener to learn and grow.  If gardening isn't important to you, hire a landscaper to create your outdoor spaces.  But be prepared to pay for it.

If you're willing to take on a new challenge, and learn about the inner workings of the great outdoors, try your hand at plotting a flowerbed.  Start small.  Focus on a small parcel of land--even a tiny 2x4-foot space.  Look around other yards and make mental notes about the kinds of plants you prefer.  Head to the local nursery, or even a big box store, and make your selections, reading plant tags closely for size and optimal conditions (see my post from last week explaining the vital steps to take when designing an outdoor space).


Myth #3:  Only professionals can design amazing garden spaces

I'm a fan of the "homemade" garden.  Do we all have interior designers choosing our furnishings and personal stylists to help us select our wardrobes?  Of course not.  I wouldn't, even if I could afford such amenities.  Like so many other important things in life, gardening involves that oft-quoted idea of joy being found in the journey rather than the destination. 

Just like my many fashion faux pas, I've planted plenty of things that haven't thrived, or have grown out of control.  Some plantings were far too big for their surroundings; others were lost amid scurious vines that choked the delicate transplants out.  There have been times that certain flowerbeds have looked so abysmal that I've been hesitant to admit I have horticultural training.  And I've even had the good fortune of perfectly pairing plantings.  Through it all--the good, bad, and truly ugly selections I've made--I've discovered a few rules that always work.  I can't tell you why they work.  The closest I can get to an explanation is to refer to one of my professor's remarks:  "When you look at a successful landscape it just feels right."  Here are my hints for giving your garden the "it" factor:

*Always plant in odd numbers

*Curved flowerbeds flow better than straight ones

*Scattered and grouped plantings are more visually appealing than plants in a straight line

Now get out there and dig in the dirt!  You may just discover something about yourself in the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment