Thursday, June 18, 2015

Stop clover from taking over




I often think that Mother Nature likes to mess with us just a little--like gently teasing small children.  You know you really shouldn't, but their reactions are so delightful that you often can't resist.  Take, for example, my never-ending battle with moss in my front yard.  To recap recent activities, I've elevated trees out front (taken the lower dozen branches off each tree) to allow more sunlight into the area, dusted existing moss with baking soda to kill it off, and  planted new grass in May, when cool temperatures and increased rainfall are supposed to optimize growth.  Then I watered diligently--twice a day.  My hard work paid off, to a point.  I DID get rid of the moss.  But I didn't get my lush, plush coating of healthy, green grass.  I got clover.

Why this happened is no mystery.  The reason for my rollicking hills of clover is due solely to mischief: Mother Nature playing games.  She switched up the months on me.  The month of May, known for cool spring breezes and pop-up showers, came in hot and heavy as the "dog days" of August.  Local meteorologists reported it the second-hottest, driest May on record in this area of the Northeast.   June was full of bluster.  The previous month's heat obviously left it cranky and deciding to make up for things, because of the 18 days we've experienced this month, 10 have been cooler and rainier than normal.  All my gently placed grass seed burned up in May, despite my conscientious watering.  My newly sprinkled seed in early June washed away with the daily deluges, leaving bare patches of earth where the moss had once been, and the clover was happy to occupy.

Now I've got nothing against clover.  It's better for the grass than moss because it "fixes" nitrogen in the soil (which means having the ability to obtain nitrogen from the atmosphere and “fix” it in nodules on plant roots).  Since nitrogen is the key ingredient for healthy, green blades of grass, I'm grateful for the amendment.  But other things benefit by the increased availability of nitrogen--like clover!  See the dilemma?  Standing on my front-porch steps gazing out over a veritable sea of white clover blooms, I swear I can hear laughter in the wind! 

Fortunately there are eco-friendly ways to get rid of the clover, but timing is important.  If you've got just a bit of clover, now's the time to pop it out of the ground before it spreads.  The blossom is a key place to start.  Gently grasp the bud and pull.  The bud is always on one of the main runners, so if you're careful you can get a whole lot of the plant out with just a few tugs.  Unlike pesky weeds like dandelion, which have deep taproots, the clover spreads by rhizomes that sit at the ground's surface, so getting it out is easier. 
 
For larger areas, spray clover patches with full-strength white vinegar first.  When clover starts turning yellowish-brown, take a garden rake to yank at the rhizomes.  Once you've removed all the clover, rake deep furrows into the ground and replant the grass seed.  Do this within a few days or weeds will take up residence in the bare spots. 

To prevent clover from taking over next year, put down 10-20 pounds of Corn Gluten Meal over the area where the clover is growing. Corn Gluten Meal is a natural suppressant for seed germination. It won't hurt the environment or you, and it will add about 10% nitrogen to the grass, which is about all it needs.

When all else fails, remember this: if you can't beat it, eat it!  Rip clover out, and toss it with lettuce and other veggies for an eco-friendly, and economical salad.  
 
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment