Thursday, March 12, 2015

"What a Wonderful World"





For anyone who has followed my posts, there can be no doubt that I am devoted to my garden in upstate New York.  Yet, every now and then it's good to venture out into the wider world to witness nature's wonders elsewhere.  I recently took a trip to New Orleans, and was delighted by all that The Big Easy had to offer lil ole me.

In the famed French Quarter I had only to look heavenward to be rewarded with a celestial sight: flowers and foliage of every size, shape, and color arching over filigreed wrought-iron balconies.  Floral cornucopia from the gods.

As we meandered down ancient streets to the jazzy strains of brass instruments and woodwinds, I had a difficult time keeping my eyes on the road in front of me.  Only when my neck felt strained could I look away from the lushly layered buildings.



I was reminded of a trip I once took to Venice, Italy, a city similar to it's Louisiana cousin in its elevation above sea level--or lack of it (New Orleans' elevation is anywhere from 20 feet above, at it's highest point, to seven feet below at it's lowest.  Venice is even further below sea level, and when it rains, expect your ankles to get saturated).  Both Venice and New Orleans are slowly sinking.  But that's not all they have in common.  Like Venice, our Southern sister's natives can't dig more than two or three feet in the ground without the hole filling up with water, so the region's gardeners--like their European counterparts--have to get creative. 

One thing they all keep in mind is to cover the area with plants that have super shallow root systems, like the beautiful azalea plants rimming every courtyard (above).  Notice they are just starting to bloom.  Other options include choosing vegetation that really enjoy getting their "feet" wet (like the bald cypress, saw palmetto and iris of the bayou, below, right.  Check out that handsome great blue heron!).  Most annuals (in both cities)  get pedestalled (above, left).

And who, I ask you, wouldn't want to be placed in a position of such high regard in a city as unique and lovely as New Orleans?

No comments:

Post a Comment