Thursday, February 5, 2015

Winter's wonders




Okay, I have to admit it. Winter isn't my favorite time of year. But having said that, I hasten to add that I've learned to find beauty in even the most stark landscape. I've enjoyed walking around my neighborhood in newly fallen snow, trying to identify the varied tracks made by snow-trekking animals. And how my heart sings along with a bird's sweet call in the midst of a frozen morn's sunrise. Just last weekend I took this beautiful photo from my front porch and splashed it all over social media with the caption: "This is why I live in upstate New York."

Most people who know me also know that my love of literature equals, if not exceeds, my horticultural interests. For this reason I have joined an online writing site called FanStory in which I have discovered the amazing talents of writers of every stripe. From essayists to short-story authors, novelists and poets, the site has indulged my need to read--and allowed me to share my own writing.

On this cold winter morning I came across a magnificent offering on FanStory by poet Roy Owen, who generously allowed me to share his inspirational words:

A breeze, a butterfly,
flit by, like beauty's sigh,
a cloud in floating flight
drifts by on wings of light,

Eternal things are found
in depths of silent sound,
on breaths of angel's wings
with songs creation sings.

Eternal things are sown
found deep in hearts of stone,
God's touch will bring the spring
your heart to life will bring.

These lovely words remind me that Spring will come, and sooner than I think. Yet in the meantime, I should relish the frozen landscape outside my office window. And as the snow falls, yet again this season, I watch the flakes float downward, keeping my ear attuned to the "depths of silent sound" and enjoying the experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment