Thursday, January 22, 2015

How to make houseplants thrive




It's no secret that I love to be surrounded in lush greenery. But with my garden temporarily frozen under nature's wintry glaze of snow and ice, I must turn my plant passion inward: to my houseplants. These "homebodies" provide a temporary flora fix, yet it's always about this time of year that they start looking a little ragged and limp. What to do? I decided to give myself a crash course in houseplant maintenance. Here's what my research uncovered:

1. Most of us are killing our plants with kindness. We tend to overwater, which encourages fungus gnats to feed and breed in the moist environment. It may seem cruel, but we need to let plant soil dry out completely before we add more water. Fungus gnats are still active in January, so ensure your plants are protected against them by placing a garlic clove (yup, garlic wards off more than mere vampires!), narrow side up, in the soil of each and every houseplant.

2. Many of us let fallen leaves collect in the soil of houseplants to act as mulch. Not needed inside. Mulch is vital for protecting the roots of outdoor plants, which encounter extreme temperature changes, but indoors, the debris provides a home for wintering insects, which will allow them to thrive and multiply come spring.

3. Check those pots! The containers that many holiday plants come in don't have good drainage, which invites vermin to inhabit their space. One example: poinsettias that arrive as gifts, wrapped in holiday-colored foil. Remove the foil, make sure pot has adequate holes for drainage, and place it on a plate or disc to catch water overflow.

4. Shift plants around the house in winter. This is the best way to determine what light conditions work best for various species. This trial-and-error approach may be the key to keeping plants alive throughout the winter. I made a surprising discovery when I brought lantana in after a successful growing season. Knowing that this plant thrives in warm weather and sunlight, I placed two of my three lantana plants in windowsills. Since I ran out of room, one plant had to go in a semi-dark space. The surprise: the plants in the windows died, and the one in low light is actually blooming!!! My research into this indicated that some plants can really benefit from a "time out." If, for example, your Christmas cactus failed to bloom this past season, the problem can be traced back to the autumn. This particular plant thrives when watering is cut back, starting in early October. And like the lantana, it likes a little extra time in low lighting. Geraniums also enjoy a little time off from heavy-duty blooming. One winter I pulled all my geraniums from the yard, and hung them upside down in my basement, using the delicate roots to gently hook them onto wire hangers. Sound barbaric? Sure does. But every plant except two survived...and bloomed even better that spring!

Sometimes, my gardening friends, we have to be cruel to be kind. Plants are far more resilient than we imagine, and they'll thank us for reduced pampering in the form of brilliant blooms and plush leafy foliage.

No comments:

Post a Comment