Friday, November 28, 2014

Holiday garlands on a shoestring


In the Northeast, you have to be ready for anything. This year, it was the unexpected snowstorm the day before Thanksgiving. And although it looked magical, the toll it took on our snow-shoveling muscles was downright wicked.

Fortunately, the long weekend affords us all a chance to not only catch up with friends and relatives over a feasting table, but perhaps relish a little "me time" after the big meal is but a memory. I've always found it an excellent time to fill out Christmas cards, and make holiday wreathes and garlands.

Luckily I have access to lots of white pine trees, which fortuitously drop dozens and dozens of pine cones each fall. Add to that a spool of florist wire, and I've got a fun fall project to string together in front of a cozy fire while the winds whip outside, and the snow flies.

I created this particular garland, pictured, a few weeks ago because I wanted to decorate the eaves of my front porch for Thanksgiving. By weaving a sparkling gold ribbon throughout, I've created a decoration that will take me from this holiday right up through the next, and into the new year. Maximum festivity with minimum effort!


To create this garland, I simply wrap the wire (which comes in green or brown) around the base of the cone two times, knot it, then continue onto the next pine cone. It doesn't have to look perfect. I've found that the more random the size, shape and pattern, the more naturally appealing it looks.

No comments:

Post a Comment