Thursday, October 23, 2014

Living the "Oscar de la Renta" life

Like people across the globe, I was saddened to hear that Oscar de a Renta died this past week. More years ago than I'd like to recall, I was a fresh-faced beauty editor just out of college, writing for women's publications such as Woman's World and Redbook magazines, and the iconic fashion designer was like a god to me. His creations were the stuff of fairy tales, and I hoped to one day just try on one of his gowns.

Now that I'm older, I still appreciate the allure of his designs, but having the chance to see a number of his interviews, I am actually more impressed by his outlook. He was, in my opinion, the epitome of style, not just fashion. He so often pointed out that style was not so much about what a person was wearing, as how a person was living.

To that end, it's important to note that he was an avid gardener. In fact he once said,

Gardening is how I relax, It's another form of creating and playing with colors.

He understood the interplay between the natural world and each individual's role in it, commenting,

I like light, color, luminosity. I like things full of color and vibrant.

I've often thought he was advantageously named: Oscar. The same name as the most honored prize we give iconic actresses, known for their soul-stirring performances, and their effortless ability to wear his creations.

If Oscar de la Renta is nurturing a garden in heaven, you know he's tending paradise.

No comments:

Post a Comment