Friday, September 12, 2014

Everyday gems

I've never been a "jewelry person." Unlike my sister-in-law, who always knows exactly what gem to wear with what outfit, I tend to forget to accessorize, and habitually pair my diamond studs and engagement ring/wedding band ensemble with whatever I'm wearing, regardless of the occasion. Feeling frumpy, I recently decided to "glam up," delving into my meager stash of semi-precious bling, and retrieved two tennis bracelets--one in diamonds, and the other in rubies. Ahh, how they sparkled! Pretty!



But there's a reason I have so few of these baubles. After about 60 seconds, I forgot I was wearing the bracelets as I began mixing the grout for my latest project--tiling the screened porch! In fact, it wasn't until I was on hands and knees, spreading the sloppy, sandy-cement mixture that I remembered the rubies and diamonds encircling my wrist--as they draped gorgeously into the nooks and crannies between the tiles, and became encrusted in rapidly drying grout.

With little time to fuss over the gems, I quickly rinsed off under the hose, and continued grouting because, honestly, if you don't do grout the right way, the joints never hold the tiles properly in place. As I rubbed the haze off the last of the gleaming tiles two hours later, I reflected on the sad lack of glamour in my personal style (I won't even begin to describe the outfit I was wearing with these fabulous bracelets). And I felt a fleeting wave of hopelessness, recalling that when my husband married me, I'd actually been a beauty editor at a major woman's magazine. No joke. Yet when he recently asked me what I wanted for my upcoming birthday, I'd not thought of him spoiling me with an extravagant gem or a his-and-her spa experience. I'd replied, "a new garbage disposal." I realized that man of mine really does have his work cut out for him.

But, ever the optimist, he came up with a novel, romantic idea: to have a candlelit dinner on our new porch that evening! How lovely it was, sitting on our newly set tiles, our favorite wine in place, and overlooking our pond. The bracelets I'd never bothered to take off paired perfectly with the sundress I dug out of the back of my closet. There was hope for me yet!



I'm still wearing those bracelets. And how they sparkle in the sunshine on this cloudless September morning...as I push the lawn mower around the back yard!

No comments:

Post a Comment