Sunday, May 11, 2014

This Native is Restless

Why is it that I  can find all manner of exotic plants at my local nursery--tree peonies and bamboo from Asia, Australian eucalyptus, tulip bulbs from the Netherlands and dozens of varieties of gladiolus from South Africa--but none of my local plant outlets carry the native plants I want?

I've recently begun working with a municipality near my own upstate New York town in an effort to use native plantings around a pond to deter Canada geese from taking over.  My choices for this project were based on the zone requirements, size, aggressiveness, maintenance, cost and availability of the native plantings--and who would have thought that I was good on all counts except the "availability" issue?  I mean, honestly, how can that be?  But my trek through half a dozen local nurseries in my area turned up nothing!  These plants grow here, like, in nature  Can they really be that hard to find?  Apparently, yes.  Why?  Nobody I asked could answer that.

Fortunately we live in a technical world, and if I can't find the American Sweet flag that is supposed to thrive in my local ponds anywhere within a three-county area (though I could find the similar Japanese Iris ensata in every single place I looked), I can always find it on the web.  My search, in fact, turned up a number of great resources.  Two were particularly good:  nichegardens.com and Americannativeplants.com.  These sites had the plants I needed, readily available and able to ship within a day or so, as well as a wealth of knowledge about the habits, needs, costs, etc. of native plantings.  To order these "exotic" native plants, or to just find out more about them, check out the sites!

No comments:

Post a Comment