Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Rain, Rain, Come...And Stay!

I'll admit it: there was a time when rain made me nervous.  Not the spritz or sprinkle, but the deluge.  I've had my share of rain-induced property damage over the years, so I became understandably edgy when the weather forecasters called for excessive rain showers.  Yet over time, I've educated myself, learned methods of harnessing nature's water tap (which at times seems to have been carelessly left running!), and used this powerful force to benefit my property.

In a recent post, I discussed the advantages of planting a rain garden to help catch and diffuse runoff--an excellent way to retain water.  Not only has this helped to reduce my own personal fear factor (where is all the water going to go?!!), but has made my yard more attractive and cost-efficient (as the rain gardens trap excess water and store it for a day or so, the plants are naturally hydrated over a period of time, so I have less need to reach for my garden hose).

Today, it's pouring outside.  Normally I'd keep myself inside: a day to work on the computer, curl up with a good book--or even clean my house.  But the drops splattering outside my office window summoned me outdoors, and the puddles pooling around my yard prodded me to further exploration.  Donning layers of waterproof gear, I headed into the wind-whipping grayness and bent over a patch of onion grass, knowing now was the time to strike.  With a ruthless pull, I popped the weed right out of the ground.

Yes, the middle of a rockin' rainstorm can be the best time to clear away weeds (assuming there's no lighting flashing around or hurricane-force winds to contend with)!  Water loosens the roots of even the most stubborn weeds, and it's my favorite time to pull up the dreaded onion grass.  A word of advice though: grasp the weed right at ground level and wiggle the plant back and forth a few times to dislodge roots.  If you pull straight out, the grass will break off above the bulb and in no time more grass will grow back.  I like to take the gathered onion grass, crush the bulbs between my fingers, and scatter the aromatic remnants around plants that critters favor (like hostas and daylilies).  Wildlife in general (and rabbits and deer in particular) hate the smell of onions and tend to steer clear of it.

April and May are excellent months to get a handle on dandelions.  I know many people like this weed, and even collect leaves for salads and tea.  I simply don't share their ardor for the plant.  I find these "dandy-lions" anything but dandy.  The endless seeds produced by each plant are problematic, and I resent them taking up valuable space and nutrients that more favorable plants could enjoy.  So they are next on my rain-day garden tour.  And like the onion grass, I grasp them at the base and wiggle them out, making sure that long taproot comes out clean.  Do it now, while the plants are small enough to dislodge.  It's amazing how just a few extra weeks worth of growth can fortify their tenacious taproots, making them nearly impossible to get out!

One rainy day last season, I witnessed an amazing thing: an 'Autumn Joy' sedum chomped to small pieces, presumably by a browsing deer, who realized mid-taste that he didn't like it (deer seldom favor that one).  The small bits of plant scattered on the ground told me the deer had literally spit the plant out!  I took the fragments of sedum and stuck them in the mud next to the existing plant, and within weeks, I had three more sedum plants!  All the rain had adequately nourished the "babies," making for a wonderful array of this lovely fall-bloomer!

So hit up your garden patch on the next rainy day you're free!  Don't step directly in the garden beds because your weight will compact the soil.  Keeping to the perimeters or standing on nearby grass, zero in on weeds and decimate them the easy, old-fashioned way...and learn how to enjoy your yard in all kinds of weather! 

No comments:

Post a Comment